The #Youth4Disarmament initiative invites applications for the #Youth4Disarmament Pitching Peace Youth Music Challenge in New York in 2022.
The Challenge has been inspired by the uniting and healing power of music that can support efforts for Securing Our Common Future. And the original scores should reflect one of the four pillars of the Secretary-General’s Agenda for Disarmament for inspiration:
- save humanity,
- save lives,
- future generations, and
- Strengthening Partnerships for Disarmament.
Worth of Award
- The winning pieces will be announced during a special event with distinguished speakers, where winners will share their inspiration for entering the contest and will be invited to perform live if possible.
- If unable to perform, a recording of the winning piece will be played.
- Winners will also be provided token grants as follows: $500 for the first-place winners, $250 for the second-place winners and $100 for the third-place winners.
- The winning entries will be featured on the websites and social media accounts of the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs and its #Youth4Disarmament initiative.
- The Pitching Peace Youth Music Challenge is open to young people of all nationalities, who are aged 13 to 29 years old.
- Submissions will be welcomed and judged in three age groups:
13-18 (middle and high school), 19 to 24 years (college and graduate school) and 25 to 29 years (early career professionals).
- There are no restrictions on how many performers can enter a submission together however, entrants can be solo performers, a duo, choir, band etc.
How to Apply
Entries should be uploaded here and should satisfy the following criteria:
- Create a musical piece that reflects what disarmament means to you and your
local communities, with reference to the Secretary General’s Agenda for Disarmament.
- Your piece must be a maximum of 2 minutes and 20 seconds with a maximum file size of 8 MB with file type: mp3, m4a, ogg.
- Any language may be used within the entry. If a language other than English is used, please provide the lyrics in the original language to be used for translation. You may also provide an English translation of the transcript if possible.
- The musical entry can be from any genre or format of music (i.e. classical, pop, rap, instrumental, etc.)
- All work must be original. No entries will be accepted or considered if they are
deemed to use in whole or part derivative material that could be considered plagiaristic.
- Copyrighted materials are allowed only if the entrant(s) obtain the necessary permissions or licences.
- Entrants are responsible for obtaining permission and licences to use any copyrighted material included in the video and should have the consent of everyone appearing in the entry.
- A maximum of two entries are permitted if the contents are different from one entry to the other.
Deadline: The challenge will close for submissions on August 12, 2022.