Join a community-focused team that thrives on doing things differently to better serve our residents. We are an award-winning municipality applying two hundred years of small-town independence and collaboration toward a future of innovation and prosperity. Located on the shores of Lake Simcoe, Innisfil is centrally located and combines big city access with small-town feel.
We focus on helping our employees effect change with nimble decision making, taking risks, real time learning and through professional development. Across our affiliated organizations, we collaborate to ignite meaningful change in how we offer municipal and essential services. We operate with a ‘One Town, One Team, One Customer’ philosophy. Our teams have the freedom to propose, test and pilot creative solutions which has led to Innisfil being the first community in the world to develop a public transit system powered by ride-sharing, and the second to accept cryptocurrency for property tax payments. Our newest projects include; The Orbit, a cutting-edge, transit oriented community of up to 150,000 people, centred around a new GO Rail Station that will blend the best of urban and rural lifestyles: “Rural Reimagined!”, and “The Community Hub” that integrates master planning for the civic campus lands with the recent announcement of Royal Victoria’s Health Centre (RVH)’s new South Campus at Yonge Street and Innisfil Beach Road to meet the healthcare, recreational and institutional needs of our rapidly growing community.
We are looking for a dynamic and collaborative individual to join our Planning Team! Directly in line with our Community Strategic Plan: Innovative Innisfil 2030, you will play a key role in creating a “Community First” town that is both emotionally and physically connected using the principles of Place Making!
Working in a cross-functional and forward-thinking environment, you will be responsible for a broad range of planning functions related to legislative requirements including long-range and proactive planning of growth management, Official Plan review, Town-wide Community Planning Permit System, community improvement plans, heritage plans and sustainability and urban design guidelines. The Vision Maker (Policy Planner) will also be responsible for:
- Additional special projects in response to particular areas of interest to the Town as a result of external events or the Town’s Strategic Plan that require the implementation of effective planning policies
- Conducting research and analysis related to such matters as population, socio-economic, demographic and statistical data to assist in the formulation of long range plans and policies
- Preparing special studies related to long range planning initiatives such as secondary plans, community improvement plans, and Town policies including amendments to the Official Plan and Zoning by-law
- Planning and administering planning capital projects including conceptualization, work planning, resourcing, financing and evaluation using project manager skills/principles/software
- Acting as a key resource for Town Committees such as the Heritage Committee and applicable community and technical steering committees
- Undertaking complex research as directed and preparing reports on a wide range of planning-related matters including land use applications, Ontario Land Tribunal matters, specific policies, and other planning matters
The preferred candidate holds:
- University degree in Urban or Regional Planning.
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in planning or a related work environment, preferably in a municipal setting, with some exposure to policy planning.
- Full member of the Ontario Professional Planners Institute or provisional member actively in the process of obtaining full membership.
- A valid Class “G” driver’s license in good standing is required as is a reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
- Available to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime as required including evening meetings or other events.
Closing date is May 20, 2022.
To apply to this position, submit your application online though our applicant tracking system. In the event you require an alternate method of submitting your application, please contact the Town’s People & Talent team by calling 705-436-3710.